My rating: 5 of 5 stars
ARC kindly provided by Hachette Children’s Books in exchange for an honest review.
‘Crooked Kingdom’ is the second and final AMAZING novel in the ‘Six of Crows’ duology. I simply cannot express how much I very much appreciated having this novel in hands and at my fingertips. Saying that I absolutely loved this novel would do Leigh Bardugo no justice. So, instead I will try to describe to you in the following list what it was that had me up till 3 am in the morning and reading the Acknowledgements section just to make the book last that little bit longer.
1. The first book was INCREDIBLE, but it was like a PRELUDE to the MASTERPIECE that was the sequel. I have to give great and deep appreciative thanks to the author for her use of plot devices. They were outstanding.
2. Plot. This is the number one aspect which MUST be done to PERFECTION for a novel to be any good.
Leigh Bardugo executed this masterfully. Her plot was incredibly rich. It wove an incredible tale that kept me gripped till the very last pages. I love the twists and the surprises the author hid in such a way that they were by no means expected. There are some plot twists which you learn to expect. These plot twists would knock you off your feet and spin your around so fast you wouldn’t know what hit you.
The complexity of the plot also made it so that the novel was a wonderfully lengthy one! 500+ pages!
3. Characters were sophisticated, well-developed and evolved as the story progressed. I loved the variety of perspectives which were introduced with each chapter and the six main characters never ceased to amaze me. Their history and personalities were so well developed that it would be impossible to call them anything other than real. From page one I felt as though Kaz, Inej, Wylan, Jesper, Nina and Matthias were people. Not just mere characters in a book.
4. Romance beautifully written and woven into the relationships between the characters. There was passion and sorrow and longing and chemistry.
I am a firm believer in a good romance story, and ‘Crooked Kingdoms’ gave me everything I ever wished from one and more. I was left hanging on every word these couples spoke to each other. And the end made me wish for more, more, more about them and in a semi-grieving state.
5. World-building was OFFICIALLY AMAZING. I lived and breathed the Grisha world for the past short day and I want to go back again! I would compare this world to the other few wonders out there, but I believe the Grisha world can speak for itself.
These were the five major aspects of this novel which I can only give praise for and the reason this novel received a whole-hearted FIVE STAR from me. I hunger and thirst for more from Leigh Bardugo!
Congratulations to Leigh Bardugo on publishing a STUPENDOUS sequel series to the ‘Grisha’ trilogy! I hope osteonecrosis does not stop you from writing more!
1 star : Strongly did not like the book, writing and plot was bad. Idea of the book was against my liking.
2 star : Didn’t like it, didn’t find it interesting or gripping. Seemed to drag on to me.
3 star : An average book. Wasn’t bad or good. Everything else was well done. Original idea.
4 star : Like a 3 star but has potential to it as a series or the book grew on me as it progressed and certain scenes captured me. I Enjoyed it and read it in one sitting.
5 star : I LOVED IT! I stayed up late until 3 am. Author is a genius, characters, plot, idea, development, EVERYTHING was EXCELLENT. Nothing else can possibly be said except that its 5 STAR!