ARC kindly provided by Allen & Unwin in exchange for an honest review.
Title: Cell 7
Author: Kerry Drewery
Published: 28 September 2016
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
‘Cell 7’ was a REAL thriller! I would highly recommend it to anybody looking for an adrenaline spoke and a novel with a plot that makes you think.
My thoughts before reading the novel:
• I didn’t like the cover. That googly blue eye staring out at me from behind bars creeped me out to no end. It was honestly a VERY unattractive cover in my eyes. Had I seen it in a bookstore I would have run the other way. Screaming.
• The tagline didn’t help, “Behind bars. For your entertainment.” Already I was screaming and terrified on the inside. I DESPISE the horror genre. And ‘Cell 7’ was SCREAMING horror at me.
• However, there was a certain level of intrigue that was created by both cover, tagline and blurb. They sold the novel despite scaring the living daylight out of me.
Whilst reading the novel:
• ‘Cell 7’ had atmosphere to it. It was one of those novels that had you thinking about it and living in its world long after you had closed it. I would often find myself thinking about what was happening and what would happen and why this character would just not be sensible and do the right thing…
• The novel was split into seven parts, one for each day and cell that Martha spends in prison. I found this a superb way of increasing tension and anticipation as the countdown would increase the further you read into the novel. There were no “chapters” per se but a myriad of different character perspectives which would tell a “section” in order to reveal a clue or give more background information. I found this an effective and engaging technique.
After reading the novel:
• The finale had me reeling. I was on the edge of my seat ready to jump if the novel told me to. I LOVED it! I was hooked, lined and sunk by the pace and plot as the novel reached its conclusion. COMPLETELY fulfilling and satisfactory!
Congratulations to Kerry Drewery on publishing her third, spectacular and THRILLING novel, ‘Cell 7’!
1 star : Strongly did not like the book, writing and plot was bad. Idea of the book was against my liking.
2 star : Didn’t like it, didn’t find it interesting or gripping. Seemed to drag on to me.
3 star : An average book. Wasn’t bad or good. Everything else was well done. Original idea.
4 star : Like a 3 star but has potential to it as a series or the book grew on me as it progressed and certain scenes captured me. I Enjoyed it and read it in one sitting.
5 star : I LOVED IT! I stayed up late until 3 am. Author is a genius, characters, plot, idea, development, EVERYTHING was EXCELLENT. Nothing else can possibly be said except that its 5 STAR!